Restylane® Facial Filler
What is Restylane®?
Restylane® is a brand of injectable dermal filler that replaces volume in facial features and restores skin to a much smoother and more youthful appearance. Restylane® is also marketed under the following names:
- Restylane® Lyft
- Restylane® Silk
The product is most commonly used for:
- Reducing lines and wrinkles such as nose-to-mouth lines
- Reducing downturned “sad mouth” corners
- Filling in hollows and sunken areas under the eyes
- Adding volume to the cheeks and contouring the chin, forehead and nose
- Lip augmentation & rejuvenation (adding volume and contouring)
One of the biggest advantages of Restylane® is not only its reputation for being very safe, but also its long lasting effects. You also have the option to have it “dissolve” if placement is not to your liking.
Will Restylane® “fix” my lines and wrinkles?
The primary purpose of dermal fillers is to improve facial shape and replace lost volume due to aging. In a sense, Restylane® will not “fix” your wrinkles, but it works with other techniques (such as Botox® or Dysport®) to reduce the signs of aging by “filling in” sunken areas.
A good example is a balloon. In order to remove the wrinkles from a balloon you have to inflate it. But the same is not true for the face! Overfilling your face to remove wrinkles is not recommended, but an injectable treatment such as Botox® is better for removing wrinkles. Read more about Botox® or Dysport®.
You may also want to consider surgical options to reduce wrinkles and lines such as a Face Lift or Blepharoplasty.
The top benefits of Restylane® over other dermal fillers:
With Restylane® the skill of application and injection technique is significantly more critical than the type of filler used. However, Restylane® has some major benefits over other fillers:
- It is a natural component of your own body – so it’s not “foreign” material
- Over time it builds collagen on its own
- It is soft to the touch so it feels very “real”
- Instead of sharp needles, microcannulas are used (a small tube that is designed for intradermal injections to reduce pain and bruising withincreased safety, with more harmonious placement)
- Restylane® is a day procedure, but please allow for adequate time for your appointment because the procedure should not be rushed